Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Joshua Maple

Joshua is such a rock star! He is learning his letters, sounds, and even some words quicker than I ever imagined. He can now identify ALL of his upper and lowercase letters. A few of them still give him some trouble, but if he thinks about it he can get them. He's also been super interested in writing his name. Here is his first attempt at writing his full name.

This was his first time trying to write a lowercase "a". He did such a great job! We are so proud of him.

Joshua blew me away last week when we were doing our letters. We decided to play a new game with our letter flash cards. We called it "What's it Say?" I placed a few letters on the ground and asked him which one says "Buh", and without hesitation he pointed to the B. He could identify the majority of the letter sounds!

The other night I decided to label the things in his room so that he can start to become familiar with what some of the words look like. When I showed him the card for "Bed" I asked him what he thought it said, and without hesitation he said "BED!" When I asked him how he knew that, he said "because it says B-E-D." Wow!

I hope his enthusiasm for learning and reading continues. If he keeps it up he'll be reading on his own before we know it!

No comments: