Sunday, July 05, 2009

Um... Thanks?

I got a nice...er... compliment, I guess, at church today. I was headed back into the sanctuary after helping serve communion when a member of our congregation stopped me. This is how our conversation went:

Him: Excuse me, can I ask you a question? How much weight have you lost?

Me: Er... *smile not really knowing what to say*

Him: You are looking really good. You know after you had your children you were a little heavy, I don't mean to be rude but let's face it.

Me: Well, that happens I suppose.

Him: How much weight have you lost?

Me: *wondering why the number should matter in the least to him* About 20 lbs I guess.

Him: Well, you are looking really good.

Me: Thanks... I guess *that last part to myself*

I think he realized that he had really put his foot in his mouth, and his wife was just kind of looking at me apologetically. I think the exchange sounded much better in his head than it actually came out. I just found it funny. At least it wasn't the other way around... "How much weight have you put on?" That I probably wouldn't have found so amusing!

No comments: